Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 1: Return to Running

Yesterday I attempted to run for the first time in over a month. I did the four mile loop of the lakes, and it...was...painful. It took me 45+ minutes to complete a run that usually takes me somewhere around 35. I ran for the first 14 or so minutes, and then switched to intervals, running for around three minutes and walking for one-two. My excuses include that my I-Pod broke 10 minutes into the run, and that it was 90 something degrees, but the truth is that I am just out of shape. I also did the body sculpting class at the Y during my lunch break, so I fully am expecting to not be able to make it up the stairs at work tomorrow. But at least I have returned to working out with a bang.

I have already signed up to run the St. Jude Half Marathon in Memphis in December, so I had better get back into running now!

2 comments:

  1. It very tough getting back to running after a month layoff, but you were able to run the first 14 minutes AND switching to intervals, plus in the heat!! You fitness will get better, hang tough! For now all your running should be at conversational pace when you can speak in complete sentences without huffing and puffing, or 60-70% of your maximum heart rate...this slower pace will make your aerobic system stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Welcome back to the world of runnnig! Take some Advil and a nap. You'll be good a new.

    ReplyDelete